... tax back for your research

Who are classed as "qualified personnel"?

According to the CRA's Information Circular IC 86-4R3, Glossary:

"Commonly available sources of knowledge or experience are those that can reasonably be assumed to be readily available to those with basic training or experience in the field of concern. These resources enable them to be sufficiently qualified to participate in scientific research and experimental development."

Typically SR&ED practitioners have at least a college or university degree in their field, although those with sufficient industry experience may be considered qualified as well.