... tax back for your research

Our claim was reduced or rejected - is there anything we can do?

Yes, you have several possible options:

  • You can speak with your CRA reviewer - if the claim was reduced or rejected due to poor communication or inadequate documentation, and your 18 month deadline has not passed, you can submit an amendment to your claim providing the required information.
  • You can speak to the Research & Technology Manager and/or Financial Review Manager at your district CRA office.
  • You can request an Administrative Second Review of your file.
  • As a final step, you can file a notice of objection within 90 days of the Notice of Assessment of your SR&ED claim. This can take several years to resolve, so we suggest you try the other options first.

More information is available from the CRA's Guidelines for resolving claimants' SR&ED concerns.

In combination with MEUK we offer financial, tax and technical support on audit issues to any of our clients who require it.